Center for Critical and Qualitative Studies (CQS)
About Center for Critical and Qualitative Studies (CQS)
Center for Critical and Qualitative Studies (CQS) is a research center jointly operated by University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh and University of Sussex, UK, based at the University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh which offers an interdisciplinary platform for various knowledge disciplines to collaborate, ensure effective knowledge transfer and develop innovative qualitative research tools and communications methods for undertaking a wide range of research and programs leading to high-quality knowledge production. The main objective of this center is to facilitate the development and use of critical thinking in research design and the use of qualitative research methods across a wide variety of academic disciplines.
Vision, Mission & Objectives
To contribute and become a global player in the qualitative understanding of the human condition.
The Center for Critical and Qualitative Studies (CQS) is aimed at producing innovative and boundary-crossing research for an in-depth understanding of human and social conditions, developing a generation of researchers skilled in qualitative research, and ensuring a communication process by developing innovative tools and contextualized strategies. As a service provider, CQS will appear as a competitive actor in the field of consultancy and bid for research and research-led programs that fit into its core areas of expertise, both locally and globally.
Center Core Objectives
- To develop a generation of critical thinkers among university faculty and students by promoting critical and interdisciplinary research in the field of Arts, Humanities, Health, and Social Sciences.
- To address knowledge gaps and interdisciplinary potential across the knowledge disciplines such as Communications, Public Health, Environment Studies, Development Studies, Cultural Studies, Gender Studies, and related fields, and demonstrate how these can be effectively addressed through innovative qualitative methodology. Having said that, the center is also critically aware that many of these disciplines have interdisciplinary practices within their disciplinary frameworks.
- To ensure renewed collaborations with national and international partners in various research, exhibition, dissemination, communication, and outreach programs.
- To ensure a scholarly culture among ULAB faculty and students by promoting critical thinking and qualitative research methodology throughout the year under various training and capacity-building programs.
- To organize and manage research-based programs and projects which are either informed by previous research or can lead to further production of knowledge and quality publications.
- To develop a new curriculum for postgraduate teaching and continuing education programs and offer jointly developed programs and organize workshops on various areas of critical and qualitative studies.
Research and Program Themes
- Humanizing development interventions and health care
- Creative use of media in cross-disciplinary research and programs
- Performative Social Sciences and Arts-based research
- Internet ethnography (netnography) and analysis of social media
- Narrative and biographic research